Despite being launched over two years ago, the Samsung Galaxy Ace is still one of the most popular devices. This smartphone will not receive any updates beyond Gingerbread but now you can enjoy Jelly Bean Android 4.1.2 on your device thanks to Pacman ROM a firmware that incorporates the best of Paranoid Android, AOKP and CM10.
As I mentioned recently, if you have a Galaxy Ace can not officially upgrade beyond Gingerbread due to hardware limitations of the device. However, the Android developer community has created an excellent ROM called Pacman, Jelly based on Bean 4.1.2 and combines the best of Paranoid Android, AOKP and CM10, three of the most popular cooked ROMs.
Pacman ROM is a very stable custom ROM based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean incorporating features very interestings such as the ability to modify the interface to use the device as a smartphone or tablet and various settings, functions and options that are not available in the stock Android ROMs.
Pacman ROM Main features
- rooted ROM
- New tablet interface
- All sensors work perfectly (proximity, light sensor, etc)
- All functions of the camera work. Panorama mode also although somewhat slow
- They have replaced some default apps for Apollo, DSP manager, CynogenMod File Manager, etc.
- Wi-Fi works
- Youtube HQ works
- All data such as contacts, SMS, photos, music and videos will be deleted if they are stored in your phone. Please do not do a backup of the data with KIES as it creates the backup in the format (. SBU) that sometimes has problems in the restoration or does not recognize the phone. Therefore, is strictly recommended that the backup contacts as well as the SMS is performed by following the steps below:
- SMS – Use SMS Backup y app Restoration
- Contacts – Sync with Gmail application
- Songs, videos, files – Copy to SD card
- Take note of APN and MMS settings in Applications> Settings> Wireless & Networks> Mobile Networks> APN
- Make sure that all security solutions like firewalls, antivirus and KIES application are completely closed until firmware update finishes.
- It is very important to make sure you have ADMIN privileges before proceeding to update the phone and the USB port must be open which means you must have read / write so that the firmware can be applied successfully.
- Note that you will need to charge your phone at least 90% battery to ensure that does not interrupt the update.
- Never interrupt the firmware update manually, just in case, if interrupted by power failure there is no need to worry because all you have to do is follow the instructions from the beginning.
- Whatever firmware you currently using, if you have root access you will lose it because it´s an official firmware.
Update Samsung Galaxy Ace to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean (Pacman ROM)
It should be noted that from AndroidADN we are not responsible for any damage that may occur to your device during this process. It acts at your own risk.
NOTE: Flashing this ROM will increase the binary counter and violate the warranty. To recover, reinstall a stock Android ROM or an official firmware.
1 – The first thing to do is download the files you will use to apply the update to your computer:
2 – Then, connect your Galaxy Ace to your PC via the USB cable and place the file in your phone.
3 – Next, unplug the device and turn it off in order to start in Recovery Mode. To do this you must press the Volume Up + Home button, and while holding both simultaneously press the power button.
4 – Once your Galaxy Ace is in recovery mode, you can do a Nandroid backup in order to then restore it back (optional). This should give a click Backup and Restore Backup and then on the next screen. Then select Wipe data / factory reset and Wipe Cache partition.
5 – Then select “Install zip from sd card” -> “Choose zip from internal SD card” and then choose the Pacman ROM Jelly Bean 4.1.2 you downloaded in step 1 to start the update process.
6 – Once the update has been applied successfully, repeat step 5 but this time select the gapps package.
7 – Once installed gapps, press “Go Back” and then “Reboot System Now” to restart the device. It may take a little longer than normal so be patient.
8 – Success! You’ll enjoy the Pacman ROM Jelly Bean 4.1.2 on your Samsung Galaxy Ace!
NOTE: To restore your previous ROM, only restart in recovery, select Backup and Restore and choose your ROM from the list.
NOTE 2: If you have the famous blue triangle problem, what to do is the following: download the two files mentioned here and this one. First install the latter to flash and then the ROM and then follow the steps as indicated.
How about this ROM? Tell us your experience with Jelly Bean in the comments!
Here is a couple of videos of this ROM in case the explanation was not clear:
More info XDA