As we have been discussing in recent days, Google has already released the official update to Android 4.2.2 for the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 that was added today. The OTA update is coming in different parts of the world but if you do not want to wait until it reaches your region and want to enjoy of all the new features of this new version now, you can do so by following this tutorial.
As I mentioned recently, the new version Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean is now available in some regions for both versions of the Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi and 3G), for both the Galaxy Nexus (international and U.S.) for the Nexus 10 and Nexus 4. It is coming through the air so you will be notified to upgrade or you will in the coming days or weeks.
Now, what’s New in Android 4.2.2? New notifications in application downloads, further adjustments in the Quick Setup menu, new sound effects, safer ADB and other improvements.
- It should be noted that the files that are used here are so you can be upgraded to Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39) in all cases coming from Android 4.2.1 (JOP40D). If you have Android 4.2.1 (JOP40D) installed, you can download it from this link.
- Make sure you have a recent version of adb that supports the command sideload. If you’re not sure you can download the latest Android SDK from this link that has the adb to date.
- Make sure you have at least 50% battery so that the process is not interrupted.
- You must have installed the Android SDK as well as the device drivers.
Update Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 and Galaxy Nexus Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
1 – The first thing you have to do is download the installation file for your device:
- Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39) for the Nexus 4
- Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39) for the Nexus 7
- Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39) for the Nexus 7 (3G)
- Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39) for the Nexus 10
- Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39) for the Galaxy Nexus (international version)
- Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39) for the Galaxy Nexus (american version)
2 – Then, you must save the file. Zip in the Platform-tools folder in Android SDK.
3 – Then connect your device to your computer and turn it off to go into recovery mode. To do this you must press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power button simultaneously.
4 – Enter Recovery mode moving with volume keys and selecting with Power and when an Android appears with a red exclamation mark message, press Volume Up + Power simultaneously.
5 – In the next screen select apply update from adb.
6 – Type in the command window the instruction abd sideloaded and then update your device. For example in the Nexus 4 is:
adb sideload de8b8d101614.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip
Then start installing the update and you’ll see onscreen progress bar of it.
7 – Once you have completed the installation of the update, restart the device.
8 – Success! Now you can enjoy Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on your Nexus device!