As happens every month, Google made a report on the percentage held by each version of Android

It is known that fragmentation is one of the great problems of Android as having so many brands and models that use this OS, implementing their own layers on it, it becomes virtually impossible that all of them run the latest versions.

Gingerbread still on top

The news that Jelly Bean is at a little over 10% of Android devices I would not know precisely whether to take it as good, especially considering that Gingerbread, version released in late 2010, continues to be present in nearly 50% of the devices. However, we know that upgrades are a controversial issue in Android, hence the slow progress, but progress at last, is a sign that things can be better. To this adds that for the first time since its launch, Gingerbread does not occupy more than 50% of the share.

ICS + Jelly Bean: almost the other half

According to numerology, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) ranks as the second version present with almost 30%, which is encouraging. If we add the 10% of Jelly Bean, we would be in a total of 40%, this means that the two most modern Android versions are opposed by almost half to Gingerbread. Another encouraging fact is that Froyo, Android 2.2, dropped its share to less than 10%.

This growth in newer versions of Android is believed to be the result of holiday sales, both smarpthones as tablets. If we add to this the wave of the Nexus devices, that always run the last Android versions, then we could understand it easier.

The growth and passage to newer versions is slow but steady, and hopefully devices with Gingerbread in a few years will gradually be replaced by more modern versions due to equipment change and not for updates, so that the percentage of this version is likely to remain high for several more months.

Size of display

Another data yielded by the report is that the majority of smarpthones have a standard display size and resolution, which at this point would be about 4 inches and 480 x 800. These data have not been specified, although are deducted from the specs of midrange and low end smartphones .

Slow growth, but growth at last

It is irritating, from my point of view, that the new versions of Android are not present in a greater number of devices, and that the same is due to lack of commitment of manufacturers to release updates more frequently.

As a user of a Galaxy S2, has been a long time since I left the TouchWiz (with which today would be officially on ICS) and I turned to the world of custom ROMs, thanks to which today I enjoy Android 4.2.1. However, not everyone has the knowledge or the desire to devote sufficient time to optimize their devices. That is why something must change, or otherwise the older versions will always be predominant in the total share of Android.

In wich version of Android are you?

Via | AndroidDevelopers

Esteban Cejas

Puedes leer todos mis articulos desde aqui o seguirme en Google+ y Twitter desde @Esteban_strato para estar al tanto de todo lo que sucede en el mundo Android.