The tablet market has grown considerably in recent years, especially in the Android world where increasingly added more models with better specs and an operating system that is refined over time.
Initially, the first Android tablets could not compete with Apple’s iPad since had a more optimized OS and a large number of applications dedicated to these displays, however, with the wave of Nexus devices and new Android versions the battle has been leveled. The contest is clearly on two fronts: 7 and 10 inches. Today in AndroidADN we will see wich are the best 10-inch Android tablets.
Best 10-inch Android tablets
The new Google tablet created in conjunction with Samsung boasts of being the one with the best screen of the moment with an impressive resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels offering 299 ppi on its 10.1-inch, the latest version of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and a shocking price of $ 399. You just can´t compete with that.
The Nexus 10 is a high-end device that comes to stomp on the market of 10-inch tablets and stands as the only serious opponent for the Apple iPad, its screen is the same or better, its OS is increasingly refined and the only point that wavers is in the dedicated applications for this size and resolution screens .
The Nexus 10, in my opinion, has only one flaw that is shared with all Nexus devices: lack of microSD. In a similar display device, installing high definition games and watch movies in Full HD seems logical, however, with so little space gives the feeling that we may fall short.
If anyone thinks that its dual-core processor is not able to move that amount of pixels I inform you that this is the Exynos 5250 dual-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A15, which incorporates a new technology and is more than enough to see multimedia content in full HD and intense gaming. Also, its 2GB of RAM ensures a smooth multitasking in an increasingly refined OS.
Construction material is plastic, but the feeling it creates is of a high quality device, with a round-edged design in line with the Nexus range. It has two speakers that offer great quality and amount of volume, but if you wish you can connect headphones although are not included.
If to all this we add that we may acquire it in Google Play for $ 399 in its 16GB model and $ 499 for 32GB, $ 100 less than the iPad 4th generation, then we are talking about what is undoubtedly the best Android tablet of the moment.
It’s clear that the Nexus 10 is Google’s big bet to flood the Android ecosystem of powerful new devices to attract application developers to generate and optimize their products to this new market, only time will tell if it will thrive.
The truth is that for its price / quality ratio there is no other model that compares:
- DISPLAY: Super PLS TFT 10.1 inch, 2560 x 1600 pixels (299 ppi)
- SIZE & WEIGHT: 263.9 x 177.6 x 8.9 mm and weighs 603 grams
- PROCESSOR & GPU: Dual-core Exynos 5250 1.7 GHz Cortex-A15; GPU Mali-T604
- RAM & Storage: 2 GB RAM, internal storage of 16/32 GB, has no microSD slot
- CAMERA: 5 MP main camera, 2592х1936 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, 1080p video @ 30fps, secondary camera of 1.9 MP
- OS: Android 4.2 (upgraded to Android 4.2.1)
- BATTERY: Standard battery, Li-Po 9000 mAh, (9 hours of multimedia)
- RELEASE DATE: October, 2012
- PRICE: $ 399 16GB / $ 449 32GB
Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF 700
The Asus Pad Transformer Infinity TF 700 stands as one of the best Android tablet for its large display and processor, has the best camera on these devices and its construction is top notch. Added to this, accessories make it a good replacement for notebook / netbook.
With its series of tablets Transformer Pad and Prime, and the creation of the Nexus 7 bundled with Google, Asus has earned a reputation as THE brand of Android tablet. Among its prolific range of models we find the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF 700, their device more powerful and prominent.
As main attributes should be noted both the processor and the display of the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF 700 constitute it as a device very quickly, and in addition to that has an 8MP camera which is the best of all Android tablet. It has microSD slot, which means that we can store lots of games and media files in Full HD.
As principal con, note that (like all Android tablet) does not have many dedicated applications and its battery does not provide as long durability as wanted. This can be fixed with one of the accessories that is a dock that provides increased battery capacity, but of course, adds to the initial price. The keyboard is not included.
Undoubtedly, the Asus Transformer PadInfinity TF 700 is one of the best Android tablet that for its price, accessories and speed coupled with a fine display and a great camera make it a good option. Of course, if the camera is not important for you in a tablet, then you may prefer to lean on other options as this undoubtedly increases its price.
- DISPLAY: Super IPS + 10.1-inch LCD with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels (224 ppi)
- SIZE & WEIGHT: 263 x 180.8 x 8.5 mm and weighs 598 grams
- PROCESSOR & GPU: Nvidia T33 Tegra 3 quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A9 ULP GeForce GPU
- RAM & STORAGE: 1 GB RAM and internal storage of 32/64 GB, microSD slot holds up to 32 GB
- CAMERA: Primary 8 MP, 3264×2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, video 1080p @ 30fps, Secondary 2 MP
- OS: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- BATTERY: Standard battery, Li-Po (25Wh)
- RELEASE DATE: February, 2012
- PRICE: $ 449 32GB / $ 568 64GB
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
The best tablet of Samsung, which continues with the Note line, offers unique characteristics that place it as a good option.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is known for its fast processor although its display resolution is not as high as the Nexus 10. As a distinctive feature has the S-Pen accessory which can be more than useful although except for Samsung applications does not have many functionalities in Android applications.
One of the main problems of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is the price as you can get it from $ 500 in its 16GB model, which makes it notoriously lose ground against Nexus 10, also product from Samsung.
Overall, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is a good tablet of great design and construction but has fallen over time a little, its high price is not justified by its display but for the S-Pen, although is on the user to determine which aspect emphasize of the device.
- DISPLAY: 10.1-inch PLS TFT with a resolution of 800 x 1280 pixels (149 ppi)
- SIZE & WEIGHT: 262 x 180 x 8.9 mm and weighs 600 grams
- PROCESSOR & GPU: Exynos 4412 Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9 GPU Mali-400MP
- RAM & Storage: 2 GB RAM, 16/32/64 GB internal storage, has microSD up to 64 GB
- CAMERA: Primary 5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Geo-taggin, video 720p @ 30fps, secondary 1.9 MP
- OS: Android OS, v4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
- BATTERY: Standard battery, Li-Ion 7000 mAh
- RELEASE DATE: August, 2012
- PRICE: $ 4997/32GB 549/64GB 16GB $ 599 USD
Asus Transformer Pad TF 300
Returning to Asus we find another great device, the Transformer Pad TF 300, which although not as prominently as the Infinity, is a model that offers great specifications at a tempting price. Perhaps, along with Transformer Pad Infinity, is the only model that can give fight to Nexus 10 thanks to its price / quality ratio.
Highlights of the Asus Pad Transformer TF 300 its powerful processor Nvidia Tegra 3 Quad T30L-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9, an 8MP rear camera and great performance in WiFi. However, its weak points are its design featuring a thickness greater than other models, is not as “sexy”, and its display could be a little better although not out of tune.
If not for the Nexus 10 whose value is unbeatable, would be talking about one of the best Android tablets. The Asus Pad Transformer TF 300 is a great choice for those who like Asus products, which certainly at this point has consolidated its position as the most prolific brand within Android tablet.
- DISPLAY: IPS LCD of 10.1 inches, 1280 x 800 pixels (149 ppi)
- SIZE & WEIGHT: 263 x 180.8 x 9.9 mm and weighs 635 grams
- PROCESSOR & GPU: Nvidia Tegra 3 Quad T30L-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 GPU ULP GeForce
- RAM & Storage: 1GB RAM, 16/32 GB of internal storage, microSD slot holds up to 32GB
- CAMERA: Primary 8 MP, 3264×2448 pixels, autofocus, Geo-tagging, 1080p video, secondary 1.2 MP
- OS: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- BATTERY: Standard battery, Li-Po (22Wh) (10 hours multimedia)
- RELEASE DATE: February, 2012
- PRICE: $ 350 16GB / 32GB $ 400
Sony Xperia Tablet S
After launching the Tablet S and Tablet P, Sony renewed their hopes of entering the tablet market with a new device that is known for its high quality construction and formidable specifications, we talk about the Sony Xperia Tablet S. After the moderate success of previous models, the Japanese company aims to stomp with a model that is perhaps overrated compared to Nexus 10 (which so far is unsurpassed by where you look) but nevertheless its specifications and construction materials makes this an attractive device.
As main attributes of the Sony Xperia Tablet S we find its slim design, japs trademark, great build quality and a processor Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A9 which is its strongest point. However, the device does not excel in other critical areas as its display, which even being slightly smaller than the other models (9.4 inches) provides a resolution and pixel density considerably lower (800 x 1280/161 ppi). If we add the high price, then we will see that its benefits are limited in scope.
But not all are cons to this device as its display while not high resolution looks great, has the ability to expand its memory via microSD, a good 8 MP rear camera and the potential to use the device as a universal remote control.
In short, the Sony Xperia Tablet S is a device for those who prioritize design and quality construction, as for its features and specifications other lower priced models offer similar experiences or better.
- DISPLAY: LED-backlit LCD 9.4 inches with a resolution of 800 x 1280 pixels (161 ppi)
- SIZE & WEIGHT: 239.8 x 174.4 x 8.8 mm and weighs 570 grams
- PROCESSOR & GPU: Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A9 GPU ULP GeForce
- RAM & Storage: 1GB RAM, 16/32/64 GB of internal storage, microSD slot holds up to 32GB
- CAMERA: Primary 8 MP, 3264×2448 pixels, autofocus, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, video 1080p @ 30fps, secondary 1 MP, 720p video
- OS: Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
- BATTERY: Standard battery, Li-Ion 6000 mAh (up to 12 hs multimedia)
- RELEASE DATE: August, 2012
- PRICE: 16GB $ 400/32 GB $ 450-500 / 64GB $ 599
This was our selection of the best tablets of 2012, no doubt that by the time the undisputed king is the Nexus 10 followed closely by the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity. We will have to see how the Android ecosystem evolves since by the time dedicated applications for tablets leave much to be desired both in number and in development.
For you, Wich one is the best Android tablet?