A few weeks ago Samsung promised to release in November the official update to Android 4.1 for the Galaxy S2 but we are almost finishing the month and it still has not arrived. A few days ago I brought a tutorial to update the Galaxy S2 to Android 4.1.2 with a firmware test leaked XXLSJ and today I bring you a tutorial that will show you how to get root access on that firmware.
This firmware XXLSJ is NOT a Samsung official firmware but it is a test firmware for UK that was filtered. Possibly this ROM becomes official in the future and will be arriving in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy and Spain, so you can set the language to your liking.
- PDA: I9100XXLSJ
- CSC: I9100OXXLS1
- Android Version: 4.1.2
- Build date: 6/11/2012
- All data such as contacts, SMS, photos, music and videos will be deleted if they are stored in your phone. Please do not do a backup of the data with KIES as it creates the backup in the format (. SBU) that sometimes has problems in the restoration or does not recognize the phone. Therefore, is strictly recommended that the backup contacts as well as the SMS is performed by following the steps below:
- SMS – Use SMS Backup y app Restoration
- Contacts – Sync with Gmail application
- Songs, videos, files – Copy to SD card
- Take note of APN and MMS settings in Applications> Settings> Wireless & Networks> Mobile Networks> APN
- Make sure that all security solutions like firewalls, antivirus and KIES application are completely closed until firmware update finishes.
- It is very important to make sure you have ADMIN privileges before proceeding to update the phone and the USB port must be open which means you must have read / write so that the firmware can be applied successfully.
- Note that you will need to charge your phone at least 90% battery to ensure that does not interrupt the update.
- Never interrupt the firmware update manually, just in case, if interrupted by power failure there is no need to worry because all you have to do is follow the instructions from the beginning.
- Whatever firmware you currently using, if you have root access you will lose it because it´s an official firmware.
Root Samsung Galaxy S2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean (XXLSJ)
It should be noted that from AndroidADN we are not responsible for any damage that may occur to your device during this process. It works at your own risk.
1 – Before you begin, you should check the version of Android in which you find yourself. For this go to Settings -> About Device -> and check the version. If you’re in XXLSJ you can continue, otherwise you must upgrade to this firmware to continue following this tutorial.
2 – Once you have installed the firmware XXLS2, you have to download the following files:
3 – Then you must unzip both files and open Odin on your computer.
4 – Turn off your Galaxy S2 to start in Download Mode. To do this you must keep volume down + center button and simultaneously press the power button. If done correctly you will see a green robot.
5 – Then, connect your Galaxy S2 to your PC via the USB cable and you will see that the section ID: COM in Odin turns yellow.
Once the ID: COM is yellow in PDA you must select the file you downloaded in step 1 and click “Start” to start the root process. Once the process is complete, the phone will automatically restart.
NOTE: the restart may take longer than usual. Do not worry, it’s normal.
6 – Success! You’ll have root access in your Galaxy S2 in XXLSJ firmware!